Friday, February 25, 2011

2-25-11

Oh, to see her sleeping so soundly this week made my heart sing!
S I C K – That is what has been going on for the last part of the week! I found out what exhaustion can do to a body. It makes you feel like you are going to implode. I won’t go into graphic detail, but it’s gross and so much worst then the flu, but on that same line. In fact one morning I did not feel like I could even get Quinn out of bed, and Chrissy was wonderful and came and got her ready to go and took her away for the day. Quinn has a cold, and I’m glad it’s not more then that, but she coughs then cries, then tries to sleep but doesn’t get a good quality sleep, because before you know it she starts coughing again, and the cycle goes round and round. She only went to school one day this week, and went to the doctor office right after that. O.K. now that the yucky part of the week is over, let’s go back to the first part of the week, when she had a cold, but was still feeling ok.

Monday she was at Chrissy’s and her teachers, Miss Rachel, Miss Joni, and Miss Diane all went to Chrissy’s to hang out and see her in a different environment. I know Quinn is really good at playing possum, and acting like she can’t do much, and would rather hang out and watch the kids and see what they are doing, so I’m sure like many of you that see Quinn in small amounts, folks think I make up what Quinn does sometimes. So I’m so thankful that these teachers were willing to give Quinn their time and hang out with her outside of school. Well, I hear that at first when they went to Chrissy’s, Quinn looked at them, with the what are you doing here, kind of look. Then Chrissy started trying to get Quinn to show a little bit of what she can do, and at first she was not going to do anything. Then finally after a little discussion she decided to show her teachers what she can do. Then a couple of them tried the same techniques and again, Quinn did not want to show them what she could do, but finally did. I can just imagine her thinking “Oh poop, now they know I can do that too.” Well, then the teachers put Chrissy and Quinn on the spot, as Chrissy was telling them that Quinn knows all her colors, and of course she does not show them that either. So Chrissy had Quinn on her lap, and they laid colors out in front of them both, and had Chrissy close her eyes, so she did not know where the right answer was, and just held Quinn’s elbow to help her reach out to the right answer, Quinn doing all the work, Chrissy just giving assistance. As she was telling me the story, I just kept thinking, please say she got them right, and Chrissy said they would have gotten like a 90% on their little quiz, and I’m so happy with that. Phew, what a busy day.

Tuesday Miss Joni and Miss Rachel came to therapy too, watching her in another new environment. Quinn does not talk much at school, and most folks there don’t ever here her yell, which is good, she does not need to do that at school, but as she was working so hard at standing, they heard her hollering and talk, using real words, so they saw another new side to her. She did not talk as good as she does with Stacie, (her speech therapist,) so they are going to go back and see Quinn with her soon. I once again have to mention how blessed we are. We have such a great support system, and I’m so thankful to have her teachers working so hard to see what Quinn can do too, and then hold her accountable.

Wednesday Chrissy took Quinn to see Dr. Martin. I'm out of vacation time, so Chrissy was willing to take her, and all in all, I thought Dr. Martin would like to hear from Chrissy, as sometimes she does not believe what I say about Quinn. It's starting to be a stream of folks thinking I'm making things up, but it's not just me anymore, there are a handful of us that she is showing off for. Well, Quinn freaked out for Chrissy when they got there, and Quinn did not really show off at all, and Chrissy told Dr. Martin and her amazing staff about what Quinn was up to. The did a few tests, and again, Dr. Martin said Quinn was holding her own nicely. She followed it up by stating how it's kind of amazing that she is doing so good, and is not sure how that is happening. Chrissy told me she knows why, God! I agree, God is amazing and giving Quinn so much strength and I am so thankful! I need to be sure to be thankful and not take her heart for granted, because she is doing so well. To top it off, Chrissy informed me that with help, Quinn can write most of the letters in her name! Phew, what a good day!

Then it goes into the sick portion of the week, and I won't bore you with the details, Grandma Martha came over to help one night, so I could sleep, past that, we listened to stories and music, and laid around like slugs, when we weren't coughing. We did get some good cuddles in, and you can't beat that! I'm looking forward to lots of rest this weekend and then we will be ready to tackle next week. I'm also looking forward to seeing what happens at school, now that Quinn knows the teachers know what she can do.

Oh, Quinn was in the paper again, last Monday. There was an article in the paper about the heart ball, and it had a short version of our story. I thought it was crazy how there was a big BELIEVE sign on the front of the magazine with our story. BELIEVING is our strength, and we do believe in Quinn and so it's just crazy, to see that on the cover. Every once in awhile, I see God talking to us in those little ways, that are not all that little, but more, take the wind out of my breath moments. It makes me excited to see what our future holds. I'm loving advocating for the heart association. I've wanted to find a cause, and this one just fell into our lap, and the folks we work with at the Heart Association are amazing!

No comments: