Wednesday, March 20, 2013


Well, we have been trying to get Quinn off of one of her meds for seizures.  She has been doing great with it, until a few days ago.  Monday she was hyper sensitive, and anytime she was touched or heard any loud noises, she was jumping, and that lasted an hour or so.  Then she was ok, until last night, when she had a pretty big seizure for her.  Darn, it had been a few years since she had her last one.  Well, it scared her, there was shaking, crying, and she was curled up in a tight ball.  It was not pretty at all.  Yet with those two bad moments, she is also improving, since she started getting less of that med, she has been smiling more, talking more, and just more with it in general.  Like this morning I was talking to her about how she had a rough night, and could go to bed early tonight, but still had to work hard at school today, and her nurse Melissa and I both heard her say "I will" plain as day, and Nadean said she did work so hard at school until about 30 minutes before school got out and then she started crying, she cried on the bus on the way home and again when she saw Melissa was here, as if finally I can just let it out, as she hugged her and cuddled into her shoulder.  After a little Tylenol, she said she was feeling better and the tears stopped.  She told us she had a headache, which makes sense to me.  She finally fell asleep around 7:30, so we are hoping for a good night sleep and our little sweet heart waking up feeling good.

Our fun stories for the day, our foster kiddo had to go in and give Quinn kisses and say some extra prayers for her this afternoon.

The other fun story is that after school today, I had two of my students ask me if they could help me in the art room.  As they were doing a few jobs for me, I called Quinn's seizure doctors office and talked to them about the things I just wrote about, and I knew the boys could hear my conversation.  After I was off the phone, I talked to the boys for a bit and had them finish up their jobs, and did not think anything more of the call or them listening to it.  So maybe 15 minutes later they headed out of my room, and a moment later they both ran back into my room, and said, "Oh, Mrs. Otte, tell Quinn to get better and that I'm praying for her."  I told him thanks and the other student seconded his concern, and they were back out of my room, within 15 seconds.  Oh, I love my job, I love my students, and I love how they care about my daughter.  I don't talk about my daughter at school very much, as we have to much to cover the way it is.  However the kids are always asking about her and checking out the new pictures I have of her on my desk, and she does help me teach tolerance and understanding, I just try to keep it in check.  So it was an end of the day where I was so thankful for my wonderful students, and at the same time, I'm praying that Quinn has a good night tonight and feels better in the morning!
Blessings!
Susan Otte

No comments: