Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Quinn, who some see as nonverbal, sure did a good job getting her point across today.

I picked Quinn up at school at noon to go see her ENT, (ear, nose, throat) doctor.  He is the kindest person and she knows she does not get shots there.

To go back a day, I told the kids the plan how grandma would meet the bus, and I would pick Quinn up at noon.  Right away she says, I have a question.  I tell her it's the doctor in Omaha, who she likes.
She says again, I have a question, I tell her her reward is to come back to therapy, since she gets rewards for doctor visits.  She says again, I have a question, I tell her no shots or blood draws.  She tells me ok.  ( I will tell you all again, she is not a nonverbal kid at all)  She is a smart kid who will take advantage of a situation though.

So I picked Quinn up from school to find that she was flushed and upset.  We talked again, and put a book on tape on in the car to calm down.   She wanted nothing to do with it.

 Why? Why? Why? I don't want to!
Ouch, Ouch, Ouch, I don't want to.

Then she asked about her neck, yes, I told her, he would look at her neck.
Then she went on about how she wanted to go outside.

The nurse came and got us, and she kept telling her that she wanted  to leave.
Then Dr Sewell came in and Quinn hyperventilated.   
Dr Sewell was so good, he moved far away and just talked to her for a bit.

The appointment went great, past Quinn's attitude, and as soon as we got to the car, Quinn wanted to know if we were going to therapy.  She was then happy and started working on math facts, and 
we got to therapy and Jan said she was tight, as I would expect after a hard few hours, but after a good stretch and getting to move around, we got some good belly laughs.

So yes, now Quinn is finding her stress connections, she gets stressed at school and gets all flushed in her face, and she will get stressed at all kinds of different things.

I'm glad she is growing, but this stress thing is not great for any of us.
This kid is amazing, and so smart!  Oh how I love her!

No comments: