Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Well, after Christmas, Quinn and I took off to Memphis.  We drove straight through, about 12 hours on the way there and back.  I still love the big bridges, and the huge rock cliffs that we drive through.  Quinn was great on the ride.  I am so lucky she is a good traveler!
After Chrissy was kind enough to loan us her portable ramps, I forgot them at home, but lucky for us, Grandpa Ron built us up some new ramps, as Quinn's power chair is way to heavy to haul up the stairs.  So we could get Quinn's chair in and out of the house.
I think the best story of the week was Quinn and her cousin Knox.  He was always right up in her face talking and learning all about her and her stuff.  She started off by telling him, he was her friend, using her dynovox.  She also played with the boy cousins by telling them to turn off and turn on the lights over and over, and was on the look out to see what those boys were doing any time they were there.  
The other fun story was that we were watching a movie, that was rated PG 13, I think, and there was a scene that was not for kids and Knox and Quinn were watching the movie, and as soon as that happened, I knew I needed to take Quinn into the other room, Aunt Pam had the same thought, and told Knox, he needed to go into the other room, as that movie was not a good movie for kids, and Knox's comment was that was not fair, cause Quinn was watching it.  I love it how he saw Quinn as a kid first and her disabilities as a secondary part of her.  So we all went out and watched some kid movies instead, and it was great!      

Quinn and her Great Aunt Pam.

Quinn with her Grandpa Ron, and Great Grandma Charlotte.
It was a bummer that the majority of folks in Memphis were sick part of the time we were there.
We did not get any pictures with Grandpa Harold, as he had a temp and not feeling good, so we did not get to close.  I heard some great stories from him again.  Granted with his alzheimer's, I heard parts of the story three or four times, that is a crazy disease, as he does so good at times, while at other times he repeats himself.  He sure does have a good attitude about dealing with his disease, and I admire that.


 Then I got to go to Huey Louis and the News.  Again, I was a fill in because Melissa was also sick, and I wish she could have gone, but I had a great time.  We were in the 6th row, and it was a great show.  They have so many familiar songs, and that brass section was great.  Oh, it was a good show.
I have to give a big thanks to Grandma Charlotte, and cousin Kim for hanging out with Quinn, while I was there.


So past all the colds and flu, we had a good time spending time with family.  Time goes by so fast, and it's so easy to get so busy with our routines, that I try hard to get out and visit all our family when we can.  We never know what tomorrow holds, so I'm so thankful for the time we had the last few days.
 

No comments: