Tuesday, May 7, 2019

We had our church service led by our youth this last Sunday.
So we had a few practice sessions over the last couple weeks.


 Then Sunday came around.  The kids all sat together.  Quinn was sure she wanted to sit with the kids, and they did great helping her out.

 We are always educating.  We brought her talking device and they tech folks figured out how to hook up sound to the device.  Then we had to teach them that if Quinn is not the one pushing the buttons on it, we are taking her voice away.  I did not have to educate them, as her siblings did.

The message the youth created, was about acceptance.  Accepting each other, which hits hard for me.  Having Quinn accepted and not just pushed aside is such a vulnerable position to be in.  The youth talked about how it is easier to accept people when you have a connection and understanding, this is why we need to continue to educate and get Quinn out for experiences for everyone.  They also talked about being vulnerable and putting yourself out there.   

I relate to that vulnerability all the time.  Being introverted, I am always stepping out of my comfort zone.  Having Quinn and needing to teach and share information keeps us vulnerable.  Will they accept her, will they include her, will they take time to see how smart she is.  

So as they were speaking at church, I was bawling like a baby.  Watching Isaiah and Denali help Quinn.  I know it is not always easy for them to educate with Quinn.  I know it is hard to take on extra responsibilities when other youth around them are not needing too.  I see them do it with grace and honor.  I see Quinn smile from ear to ear when she is included and supported.  

I understand how life can be so full of ups and downs.  I understand Quinn is with us because we can handle it.  I understand God has us as a family for a reason and gives us what we need to give to each other.  

I also believe that when we are vulnerable we see the best in others.  We see our church community go up to Quinn and tell her what a good job she did at the end of the service.  We see teachers work extra hard to help us fix her computer when it breaks.  We see nurses help her stay healthy and love her up.  We see dancers help share their talents and volunteer to dance with our girls.  We see parents educating their kids about acceptance.  We see extra smiles and people holding doors open.  We see people struggle with their own vulnerabilities not knowing what to do, so we try to continue to educate and support others and appreciate others vulnerabilities.  We are vulnerable, but we also see such kindness and that is so powerful in itself.  
Grateful!

No comments: