Saturday, November 21, 2009

11-21-09


Here is Quinn after a fun trip to the Children's Museum with Virginia, and daddy loved every bit of that Husker Spirit.



It’s been a busy week. To start off, Quinn had a good weekend. We relaxed and played and took it easy, while dad tried to heal up. He is on the slow path again, but doing better this weekend, instead of an all day nap it was just a couple hours, and he is comfortable holding Quinn again, so that’s good. Therapy consisted of working on Quinn’s braces again. We thought we had them fixed on Tuesday, but Quinn had marks again on Wednesday and Thursday so we are back to even watching how her socks are fitting on her feet. We are thinking it might be her crocks that she wears over her braces being to tight, but finding a shoe that is wide enough to go over her braces and not be way to long is difficult. I’m going to start looking for big girl socks with skid bottoms, maybe trying that would help.

So one of the other things I’ve been starting to think about is a bigger bed for Quinn. She does not roll around that much, but I know we need rails. I don’t want to do a hospital bed, and at the same time, she does not really need that. So I was looking at rails that can connect to most beds, but again, that hospital look comes into play, and the price goes from not to bad to out of control. Well one of my therapists suggested bunk beds, taking them apart and using the rails on Quinn’s bed. What a great idea. To top it off at the end of last week, another art teacher was giving hers away, so we now have bunk beds sitting in the garage. I’m going to do some painting, buy a mattress and have a lovely bed with rails that will be perfect for Quinn. I tell you what; God is looking out for us. I don’t always understand the plan, but I feel supported in our journey and that is a big deal for me.

Well the excitement for our weekend is that Quinn and I were at the emergency room this afternoon. The last few days I noticed Quinn was teething, some of those really big teeth in the back and a few others closer to the front, I think that is officially all her teeth once this batch comes in. Quinn has been a trooper with them, not really complaining at all. However, I’ve noticed more blood over the last few days, just a bit here and there, so I was not to concerned, until today. At one point, she was coughing and spitting lots of blood out, and that is trying to keep the story from getting to graphic. So I called her doctor, and was told to go to the emergency room. Of course when we were on the way, blood was dripping out of her mouth, and I was freaking out, wiping her mouth at every stoplight, thinking the lights stayed red for way to long. Once we got to the hospital, the bleeding stopped. Wonderful that it stopped, but were we going to figure out what was going on? Was it the tooth? Is that normal? Was it due to her coughing so much? Well, we got in pretty quick, in fact when we got there, there was not a single person in the waiting room, unlike when we left, the room was full, with a number of people walking around outside. Well, once the doctor got into the room, and we went through everything, he put the tongue depressor into her mouth and barely tapped her tooth, and he said it set off a spout of blood that she was swallowing, and that is why she was coughing. He told me that there was a blood vessel right by that tooth, and the tooth kept rupturing the vessel, that is why there was so much blood. So now we are looking for a dentist to talk to and see if there is anything we need to do with that tooth to help this from happening again. So I have another mission to find a good dentist, I know of a few but need to find the diamond in the rough that is willing to be patient with Quinn, who does not like to have people looking or touching her mouth.

Well, after all the excitement, we got home and Quinn and daddy took a good long nap, and we have not had any problems with her teeth. So I’m happy about that! I am looking forward to a short week next week, and hoping to find lots of time to play with Quinn. Time just flies by. I have a list of people to see and things to clean, and they seem to stay on the list, instead of being crossed off. Maybe we will find the time to play and visit over the break.

Thanks for checking in on us!

Susan

Here is a video of Quinn swimming, she loves the water, this is not her at her best, but it's still pretty good. Turn down your volume, I get a bit loud to get her motivated, but it's a great video. I don't know if I'm doing the video's correctly, since a few of you can't open them, so I'm still working on that, hope you can see her working so hard!

1 comment:

Chrissy Scheer, PT said...

I'm excited to see Quinn's new bed...I am sure it will be super cute! :) (I just love it when function is also cute and "blends in"). Hugs!