Friday, January 22, 2010

1-22-10


Here are Quinn and Veronica after our trip to the Movie the Princess and the Frog. I have to say it was a great movie!
Here is Quinn getting her EEG done. Next time I’ll have to get a picture of the computer so you can see what it looks like when it tracks her brain activity. I don’t think I would want to fall asleep either when I don’t understand why these cords are all over my head.
What a week we have had. Saturday we got to play with Veronica, (Virginia is our babysitter, and Veronica is her daughter, she is in 3rd grade) and we had so much fun. First of all, Veronica is so good to Quinn. She loves to read to her and is not afraid to be around her or anything. I think it’s partly due to the fact that she is a good kid, and partly due to her mom being such a good mom in how she models how wonderful it is to be around Quinn. That means a lot to me. Well, on with the story. We went to the Princess and the Frog, and it was a great movie. I suggest it to everyone. Quinn watched about 20 minutes and promptly fell asleep in my lap. Then we worked on some clay projects and then Veronica helped me label and sort projects at school to get ready for the following week.

Monday we did not have school due to Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and we took advantage of the day to get in appointments. First we went to St. E’s hospital and had an EEG done. An EEG is where they connect wires to Quinn’s head with some stuff that looks like toothpaste, and then we hope Quinn falls asleep. The best readings are in the stage right before a person falls asleep and is also when seizures can happen the easiest. This is the one and only time we want her to have one. So some how Quinn was kept awake the night before until 2:00 in the morning. Crazy, I know, dad pooped out before Quinn did. Well Quinn did not fall asleep during the EEG, a new surrounding and weird things on her head, she was definitely not going to go to sleep, she needed to stay awake for self preservation. Well after 30 minutes the EEG giver, I don’t know what title she has, said that the read seems to be pretty good, and it did not look like Quinn was going to fall asleep, so she was going to stop the read and be happy with what we got. Well as soon as she stopped the reading and turned the light on, Quinn did the eye roll that we were trying to find out if that was a seizure. We got the machine turned back on long enough to catch the tail end of the activity, so I’m thankful for that. Now I’m just waiting to hear back from our Neurologist after he reads her results. Not surprising, Quinn has taken a few long naps the last few days to make up for her short night.

Monday also consisted of an eye doctor appointment, where she did not try to close her eyes as soon as she saw the doctor. He is satisfied with how she is doing, and just wants us to keep patching each of her eyes every other day for a few hours. We also had speech therapy with Staci where Quinn worked as hard as ever. We also found out we will be starting Physical Therapy again with Diana, so that will be good to get into again.

Our fun story for the week was Thursday’s therapy with Diane and Staci. Virginia told me how they have been working with Quinn’s arms. I’ve seen that with Staci other days as well, and Quinn is slowly starting to figure out how to use them. She does not use them a lot because I can tell it is very demanding on her to concentrate so hard to get them to move the way she wants them to. Well, they were rolling the ball back and forth and a few times she used her arms without any help to push the ball back to Staci. That is wonderful. After Staci thought they were done she asked Quinn if she could have the ball back, and Quinn said “no”. Then to follow that up, Jen, and Jed came by Friday afternoon, and Quinn still has a thing for males and although she loves Jen, wow, she worked like no one's business. She kept her eye on him the entire therapy session. She also worked harder in that hour then I've seen her work in quite awhile. Walking, talking, moving her hands, and is now exhausted, and has taken a nice long nap to compensate for the hard work. I can not lie, I took a nap with her. Phew, what a week. It works for me! Have a good week. Thanks for reading!

No comments: