Thursday, January 7, 2010

1-7-10




Blue has been very protective of Quinn lately, I’m not sure if he just wants to steal her heat, because it’s so cold, but I think it’s more that he is just loving her. He will rub up against her hand, and then lay as close to her as possible, while still being so gentle around her. She was working on tummy time in her super warm jammies, as it was a jammie day for both of us yesterday!

It’s our 2nd snow day in a row here, 5 total this school year already and I predict we are not done yet. My dog showed me how cold it was this morning, I was watching out the window as he did his business, and he was an acrobat. He was trying to balance on his two hind legs and having all kinds of issues. It was quite a site, that wore him out as now he is sound asleep at Quinn's feet again. Well, back to the story, I love teaching and we are really falling behind, but I also love having time to hang out with Quinn. Yesterday we played on the sewing machine. I made a poncho and scarf that was a bit to short, but it was a start. I also hemmed up three pairs of pants. The first one I did a bit to short, but I got the other two looking pretty good.

I’ve got a wonderful story about Quinn. Before I tell the story, I have to mention again that Quinn is three and shows off on her terms. Most of my family think I might be a fibber as Quinn will not talk with real words when she is with them. In fact just a few people really hear her talk. When she is around people she does not see on a regular base, she drinks them in and take in everything around her. She talks more with her speech therapist then anyone. Her Grandma Martha, Grandpa Harold, and Aunt Sarah were all here this last weekend. Sarah was trying to get her to talk, and did hear her say “Mom”, and when she was leaving she got right in Quinn’s face and was trying to get her to say bye or say anything, Quinn looked at her said “no” and turned away. Well that is something. Now for the big story. Virginia took Quinn and Elijah to the Children’s Museum on Tuesday and one of the stations there is face paint. Well she was telling Quinn that Elijah was a dog and Quinn was a cat. I’m not sure how many times she told her but Quinn is a smart girl. Later that day when Quinn was at therapy with Stacie, Stacie asked her if she was a tiger, Quinn said “ no a cat ”. Wow, no prompts, no repeat after me, just a correction in the fact that she was a cat. Well, I knew Quinn was right, there was no way she would have said that if it were not the truth, but had to call Virginia to check, and found out yes, she was a cat. Wow, I know how smart she is, but sometimes when she does not show off for anyone, I think to myself, I know how smart she is, but the doubt sinks in sometimes and I wonder if I am making things up. So yea for Quinn. She keeps reminding all of us to watch out, she is amazing, and it reminds me that I need to be careful what I say in front of her. Luckily I don’t have a big issue saying things I should not, but I need to be careful!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok, Susan,love your posts! : ) I had a student once that said about 20 words, lots of echolalia, but one day she missed her chair and went to the floor and clear as day she says "Oh Shit" we all laughed so hard. Luckily she was ok, but when we told Mom, she laughed and replied, that is one of my favorite phrases! Don't worry, be happy she is speaking, SPED teachers (really all teachers) are used to hearing lots of language. The important thing is, she was talking!