Tuesday, May 31, 2011

5-31-11

Grandpa and Quinn. I love this picture.
Three generations, after a super crazy windy morning!
What a cutie pie!
My family, my grandparents, my Aunt, and my dad.
Grandpa's plaque. Do you see the flag reflection. It says: Harold L. Mook, Seaman 1st Class, World War 2, by Charlotte Mook.
Kind of a fun picture, the heart was framing the flag.
Love this one, where Great Grandma Charlotte is getting the hair out of Quinn's face. Love it!
This is as close as Quinn can physically get to her great Uncle Gary and Uncle Ken, but their spirit is closer.
Quinn decided to give comic relief to the moment by cracking up laughing, just look at her giggling, timing is everything!
I wish I would have gotten more pictures of our family, but here is Quinn's Great Great Aunt Betty with her and grandpa Ron
Late Happy Memorial Day!

What a wonderful weekend we had. We were at the exciting town of Salix Iowa for a Memorial Day church service, breakfast, and American Legion Program all taking place in the cemetery. As one of my 2nd cousins so eloquently said, we would be dining with the dead. On a more serious note, the service was beautiful, one of the readers was so moved by the world of God, she started crying right there. The 21-gun salute was inspiring, and the high school band was even there to play patriotic music. We were there because my family was in town. My grandparents, my dad, and my Aunt Pam, all managed to get some time off to spend together and wanted to spend it with even more family. My Grandmother wanted to be there for the program in the cemetary, as her parents, grandparents, and two of her sons. Yes, two of my uncles are buried there, one at 11 months and the other in his early 20’s. They both passed away much to young, and I feel like I’m just starting to really understand it. Every time I’m with my grandmother, I hear more storied, and sometimes I think I’ve just barely scratched the surface of the stories she can tell. At the same time my Grandfather can tell stories of his past that are worth a book. My grandmother got a flag for my grandfather stating he was a Seaman during WW2. As we were taking pictures the flag was flying behind us, and we caught the perfect picture of it in the reflection of his plaque.

We also got to see lots of family. I can’t believe I did not get very many pictures of that. We also celebrated my grandmother, and great aunts birthdays. Of course Quinn did not show off, there were way to many folks to pay attention to. She did do better at looking at different people, really looking at who was talking to her, and waving hello to a few folks, like her great great aunt Betty, she also smiled at a few folks, but past that, not much, unless you want to talk about her temper tantrums. Yes! She is learning how to start screaming at the top of her lungs, and knows that within moments I’ll be there to pick her up. I’m not totally sure that is a good thing, rewarding bad behavior, but until I totally am sure she is being naughty, and not just scared, I’ll be there to swoop her up and cuddle up with her.

I am continuing to be more and more thankful for extended family. We got to be with lots of 2nd and 3rd cousins as well as great great aunts and uncles, and I am more and more grateful for these people the more I get to know them. I’m also thankful for how much they love up on Quinn. I was reminded how important family is, and how family does not just mean who lives in our house.

So this weekend reminded me to be thankful for family, thankful for all my family who were willing to protect our freedom by joining the military, and all the men and women who are or have been in the military. I’m thankful for family who I catch sitting and talking with Quinn on their own, and who are willing to jump in and wipe her mouth, or share a story with her. I’m well aware that she is a bit intimidating to some folks, but really she is simply a 4 year old who wants attention and love like anyone else. So seeing my family jump in and love on her warms my heart and I’m grateful for those moments.
Blessings,
Susan

No comments: