Friday, June 18, 2010

6-18-10


What a busy week we have had! Have you ever felt like you have learned and learned and learned information and felt more and more clueless. That has been the case for me this week.

First lets start out with some fun stuff. Tuesday afternoon we went swimming with Amy and this was such a big deal because it’s the first time Quinn has been able to move all over without any help! The water was a bit chilly and we are use to warm water pools, but after Quinn got use to the water, she had so much fun. She loved to get in the position of getting her legs to lie across Amy and keep tapping her! She is a people person so that does not surprise me at all. I’m thankful for that calm in a week of crazy knowledge.

Let’s get the knowledge out first and end with the other fun things Quinn has done. We got results back from the sleep study, Dr. Quinnlan called me Thursday and said the results are pretty good for Quinn. The study is abnormal, but that is the case with brain trauma and muscle tone most of the time. For it being abnormal, it’s very minimal; her oxygen level was always above 90%, which is great. She would tend to slow her breathing down about 4 times an hour, but he still does not think we should do anything as of now, because her muscle tone is what causes her breathing issues, and when she had a cold it’s going to lead to breathing issues. That is not nice to hear, but it is our reality, so over all, it was a good report. He did tell us to start seeing a Pulmonologist (breathing doctor) and I’ve wanted to do that, so now we will start seeing him as well. Our list of doctors keep growing, but I’m more then thankful to add another one on, and be oh so thankful to have Quinn in my life.

I have also talked to Assistive Technology, Elevator sales people, Real estate sales folks that work with people with disabilities, and after all that knowledge, I feel like I’ve got much more information and yet few concrete answers. I think the biggest thing I heard from an Occupational Therapist who now helps with real estate, and finding homes that can be modified. She talked about how having a single story home can help Quinn get to every room on her own when she gets a motorized chair, if that ends up happening. Following it up by the more restrictions in the house lead to more restrictions for Quinn, which makes it harder for Quinn to reach her full potential. So after fighting to stay here and adapt this house rather then have to move and adapt another house I’ve come to terms with seeing a move as being the smarter more cost effective choice. Granted I’ve changed my mind back and forth, but I’m getting more and more set on a move. It’s exciting and sad at the same time, and thinking of all the work involved is a bit intimidating, but I’m willing to work my tail off to make Quinn’s life as adaptive and positive as I possibly can. I’m thankful for all the work we have done to our house, and I think with a little paint, we will have a home that would be a great house for someone to move into. Past that, I’m thankful for friends who have friends who are architects, and hope to have them help us with modifying a different house. I’m also thankful that this does not have to be done right away, as Quinn is still small, but I do want to get on the ball with this process, so we get things in place before I regret not getting things done in a timely manner.

Onto the fun stuff, Quinn was amazing this week! She was in the pool with Amy for four hours and loved it. Finally around 7:00 pm it started to get a bit chilly and she told me, “all done, brrrrrr” so I love to see that she knows what is going on and can state it. Before we went swimming Tuesday, we hade speech therapy with Stacie and Quinn was amazing. They had a computer that will pick up eye movement and Quinn has had fun with that in the past, but she looked all around the computer and continued to look back up at Stacie instead, and wanted nothing to do with the computer, so they read a book instead and Quinn showed off as usual with Stacie. She was giggling and playing with Stacie when they got to the yellow ducks, however would go limp and quiet with the boring brown cows. She is such a three year old. It’s great to see how she acts with Stacie.

Thursday we met with Diane and Quinn did a great job sorting colors, she loved picking up plastic bugs and putting them in the matching containers. With a little help she matched up the yellow and orange bugs, no surprise there, and refused to pick up the purple ones. It was great to see how with a bit of help from Diane, Quinn was working hard to open and close her hands to grasp those bugs. It was also just as good to see her refuse to do some, because that shows lots of spunk, and I like that just as much! That spunk has gotten her through so much!

Finally at home, she kept telling me “walk”, so I put her in her walker and she became a limp noodle. I got her out and she said walk again! So this time I held her under her arms and she took a good 8 or 9 steps across the floor. I can see how she loves to figure things out, then I see the exhaustion that hits her after she works so hard, so she then took a four hour nap. I’ve said it before but I am blessed to see small miracles every once in awhile, and I’m so grateful for knowing how lucky I am to be a part of Quinn’s life!

Wow, this has gotten long! So I’ll sign off, we have a busy day of swimming and playing today, and then I need to start getting ready to repaint some rooms and get things in order for a sale coming up sometime down the road! Yikes, that makes me a bit nervous, but God keeps working to get us through everything, so I’ve just got to try to give those nerves up to him!

No comments: