Saturday, June 12, 2010

June 12, 2010


We are continuing on working hard with changes so far this summer. In fact Quinn and I both stepped out of our comfort zones and went to a support group and playgroup this week. Madonna Hospital, where we go for swimming therapy, offered a support group for Parents with children with severe acquired injuries. There were 7 of us there with younger children who have had all kinds of injuries including severe burns, but most of us have children with brain trauma. Some from car accidents, sport accidents, and others through situations like Quinn where they had a lack of oxygen to their brain due to another situation. While I was at my group Quinn was at a playgroup in the same building. This was the first time she was in a small group of about 10 kids and lots of adults without me, and I think this is the perfect way to introduce her into preschool. She did start breathing a bit weird, and one of the girls came to get me to ask if it was ok, or if there was something we should do, and I mentioned how she can manipulate her breathing, but it is also a bit of a concern, but in that situation I’m sure she is trying to get a point across. So she was super calm and said she would see how Quinn was, and get back to me if there was an issue, and later when I picked her up I was told when the staff person got back to the room, Quinn was having fun and doing fine. The group’s meet twice a month and one week the focus is on music and the second Wednesday it will be therapy animals. As for me, sometimes we will simply talk, and other times we will learn more about the issues our kids face. I think the experience for both of us was a tad stressful, but mostly wonderful. I cried just a little, but also laughed and felt understood on such a personal level. I would think I would be done crying about our situation, and most of the time do a great job with acceptance, and have even said, this experience has educated all of us and helped us grow as people, so sometimes, and I stress sometimes, I even find myself thankful for the experience, but after that session I realize that this will be a lifetime of learning and most of the time I do a great job of dealing with it, and sometimes I struggle, and I’m O.K. with that, because I have an amazing little girl who helps me get through the emotional times and inspires me all the time. After the group time was over and I picked up Quinn, she was smiling and laughing, so I’m so thankful for that experience for both of us. I’m finding lots of great resources in Lincoln and I’m so thankful we are here!

As for Quinn’s therapies for the week, we learned that Quinn’s favorite color is still yellow, she still works for relationships more then anything else, and if folks around her are stressed, she will pick up on that and stress out as well! We also focused on working on her hands, and now when we roll a ball to her sometimes she opens her hands to catch it. That may sound simple, but her choosing to open her hands to hold something let alone pick it up is a huge deal! Usually she gets excited when we are playing with her and her hands close no matter how hard she tries, so it’s been so exciting to see her open up her hands, and to go a step farther, when we roll one of the balls to her she is catching it and picking it up! That has been a big goal for her, so we are so happy and proud of her! She works so hard!

Well summer officially started for us and Quinn finished the day with grandma on amazing terms. Friday morning Quinn walked from the back room through the entire room, into the kitchen, turned around and walked back, all while holding her head up in her walker! That is such a huge success, as most of the time she dances in her walker instead of really walking all by herself! It just gives me goose bumps! What a great day for her, then she took a 4 hours nap after all her hard work!

I am so excited to sit in on her therapies again, and really get to work with her on her skills, she is usually the most successful in the mornings and I don’t get to see her at that time as often as I’d like with school, so I’m thankful for this summer time. Our summer is going to be busy, like this week we have one or more meetings with therapists, doctors, or someone about Quinn every day, as well as fun trips to the pool and park, so we are going to be busy! Good, but busy!

We start the week out with a visit from Assistive Technology to look at the house, so please say some prayers for us, we start looking over the house for the remodel to figure out if we can add on and modify, then we start trying to get an architect on board! I’m a bit nervous and don’t know what to expect, but have lots of ideas! So the process is going from my head to the drawing boards! I think it’s going to be a bit over whelming, but I’m excited for possibilities, it seems like we have been waiting for this for such a long time, and now I’m getting a little nervous.

So blessing to you, thanks for reading and I’m going to go clean and play the day away!

No comments: