Thursday, June 3, 2010

June 3, 2010

“Change is the essence of life, be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become.”

Wow change! I found this quote and liked it. Sometimes change is so hard to accept, but at the same time we have to follow our paths, and hope and pray they help us continue to grow and improve our lives and the lives of the people around us. Goodness, that is some deep thinking for the last day of school.

Watching Quinn change from sleeping to an awake state is totally amazing and one of my favorite times of the day. She is so peaceful and angelic when she is sleeping, and then she starts to wake up and stretches. This time is simply magical, as she does not have any tone, and a this moment, you would not know how much she has to will her body to move. Her movements are so fluid and easy. Her eyes open and adjust, she continues stretching, and then the dreaded tone fills up her body. I don’t understand it, but the movement of her arms that were so easy have changed into restricted and jerky movements that she has to work so hard to control. The ease in her body changes and gets tense and frustrating. Then I see her start to work with her body, and although it is not fluid and easy, I see her will power and strong work ethic come into play to help get the parts of her body she can control to relax and find a middle ground. Wow, watching that change is so inspiring and frustrating at the same time. I’m staring to feel that way about change in general. Sometimes it is so hard, while it can bring about many amazing feats, as is shown by the amazing things Quinn continues to change within her body and mind.

Change –
1. To give a completely different form or appearance to; transform: changed the yard into a garden.
2.To exchange for or replace with another, usually of the same kind or category: change one's name; a light that changes colors.

Lots of changes going on for us! Actually us, and many people I know right now! Change is bitter sweet!

Changing from one school year to another. This was the last day that I will have gone to school and Quinn would stay home. Sure there will be meetings and classes and such, but this is the last school day. She will be in the excite program next year where a bus will pick her up and take her to school every day, then take her home or to the babysitters. It was the last day I will work with a few dear friends, and many wonderful students. I can only hope and pray we stay in touch.

Changing from one sitter to another, then another, then another! We want to Thank Virginia for all her work over the last few years! She is amazing and I know God brought her into our lives when we needed her so much. We are so thankful for the love she showed Quinn and our family! We want to thank the Grandma’s for filling in here and there when we have needed them, they are wonderful women and so good with Quinn. We are also looking forward to spending more time with Chrissy! Yes, Chrissy is Quinn’s old therapist who loves and understands Quinn and who Quinn in turn loves so much, and she has stepped up to watch Quinn during the day when she is not in school. Annette is also on Quinn’s s list and is willing to watch her during the summer when I have a meeting here and there!

Changing the house, or at least getting in gear for it. We have an appointment on the 14th to look things over, and I’ve got a few friends who are working hard to help us find a good architect, so lots of promising aspects ahead on that front. As well as some cosmetic work, I’m ready to get out the paint and do some changing on a smaller level as well! John is not a huge fan of change and would prefer white walls and every thing in the same place, so this change for him might be a bit harder, but for Quinn he is more then happy to work though that change.

Changing friendships - As I've been thinking so much about changes lately, I've thought back to the changes in friendships I've had over the years. I've got a handful of friends who I still talk to from when I was small, then I've had friendships that I thought I would have forever, then my divorce happened and I lost a few, and then we had all the health issues happen with Quinn, and again I lost friends that I thought I would have forever, yet change continues to happen, and new friends come into our lives, who bring understanding and knowledge. It's crazy how the world works, and I've said over and over, I don't understand why things happen, but I'm sure thankful for my faith to help try to guide us through this crazy world. I will continue to love my friends and family, and do my best to accept the changes that continue to happen.

Changing – I almost put a picture of someone changing Quinn’s pants, but I thought better not to, but on that topic, she is starting to show signs of potty training in the sense that as soon as she is wet or what ever, she is letting us know that she needs to be changed. That is a big deal. It’s also been a big deal when someone leaves or gets home, she is doing better and better and naming the person who just got here, especially mom and dad. I think that is wonderful! Change can be so powerful!

Changing times for therapy appointments. With school coming into the realm of happening sooner rather then later, we have to work on finding times to get her therapies in there as well. I’m hoping we don’t loose to many of our therapists, as she has such a great relationship with a few of them right now, and how she loves the water and the relationships. Talking about that, when school starts we loose our in home therapists that come see Quinn. Jen has been coming to see us weekly, and I have learned as much as Quinn. I’m so thankful we have the rest of the summer to spend with her and I’ve got e-mails and this blog, but having that person who can say I see that improvement and love and hug on Quinn while at the same time helping her work her tail off, it brings tears to my eyes just thinking of loosing that, but again, change can bring even more unexpected joys that we can not even imagine. So I will do my best to be grateful for change, as I let a few tears fall onto my cheeks!

Changing labels – Let me start off by stating I’m not a fan of labels! As an art teacher I see so many kids with labels, who have different learning styles and modifications and they are wonderful and achieve the goals I set along with everyone else. At the same time, I understand how labels can help clue folks in on what things are going on with kids. With Quinn we are changing her label from Developmental Delayed to something else that I can’t remember. Sometimes things that I read that have been written about Quinn in doctor charts or therapists paper work make me so sad. I can’t even type some of the words, they are not hurtful at all, but they are still too hard for me to read or accept. So labels are hard, but I understand to get some of the special care Quinn needs, they are needed! The school needs to know about her possibility of seizures, and her heart condition, as well as the trauma she has experienced. The nurse needs to know about her meds. Adults need to know that she won’t do anything for you unless you work on a relationship with her first. So even though it hurts my heart to read about some of the labels, and changing labels that have been given to Quinn, I also understand their merit, so I’ll keep trying to change and accept the fact that medically some words used to describe Quinn are not words meant to hurt but words meant to help with understanding. So thanks to Jen for working hard on changing her label to fit her better, as well as going a step farther to talk about Quinn instead of just the issues! That helps make my heart feel better.

Whew, that is enough tears for one day! Good tears, but again, change! Wow, as Arnold Bennett said – “Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.” I could not have said it better myself!

Blessings, and again, thanks for reading and keeping us in your prayers!
Susan

1 comment:

Chrissy Scheer, PT said...

I'm so excited to have Quinn come and hang out at our house! Hugs! :)