Monday, December 27, 2010

12-27-10

We spent time with Quinn’s cousin, Kaleb over Christmas, and she is teaching him so much. He understands that Quinn has some health issues, but past that does not quite understand it, but knowing that, he is so good to her and loves her up. He reads to her, asking her questions, and gets a little frustrated, because she answers him and he can’t always understand what she says. He wants to understand so bad, bun instead of getting frustrated, he rubs her hair, and loves her up, and continues to be such a great cousin! What a blessing to have family that gets what is really important!
What a Merry Christmas we have had a blessed holiday. We spent time with family, exchanged a few gifts, and Quinn is feeling pretty good! Yeah! I had another bawl baby moment, I tend to have them more then I use to, and I think it’s due to the fact that Quinn has taught me so much, and is helping me continue to figure out who I am and what I want to give back to the folks around me. So I’m sharing a personal moment.

So, on to the story. We were at our Christmas Eve Service, and there was a man in front of us a bit, who was probably in his 30’s or 40’s and he had some mental disabilities of some kind. He was in his – Jesus is the reason for the season – t-shirt, and looked to be truly happy. I sat through church thinking how differently I think of him now, compared to the past. He brought his camera to the service and pulled it out here and there to take pictures of different things that made him happy. In the past I would have felt sorry for him, wondering where he lived and hoping he would not come over and talk to me. As I sat there last night, I was enamored with him, as well as how the folks around him reacted to him. When it came to singing Silent Night, we do it with candlelight. Watching this man get so excited to get his candle lit with that childlike excitement, and if I would not have been holding Quinn, I would have went up and helped him out. He was trying to figure out where to go to get his candle lit, and was so excited he could hardly stand it. Then it happened, that moment I feel blessed to witness, that simple act of kindness, where an older woman behind him, stood up, to comfort him and help him get his candle lit, she slowed up her line, but the comfort she gave this man, was that motherly comfort that made me start bawling right away. I was so comforted by her helping him out, and giving him that calm feeling, as well as the light he so desperately wanted. Such a simple action with such a powerful reaction from me. So Lord, thanks for giving me time to continue to learn that we all have a mission in life, and thanks for those special moments. I don’t know if anyone else got such a wonderful message out of church, but for me, that is what I will always remember, and I feel blessed for feeling it. Actually at the end of church, another older woman came over to us, and helped adjust the blanket I was draping over Quinn, so thanks to all those special people creating those simple, wonderful acts of kindness! I think that is what Christmas is all about! Jesus came to teach us to help one another, and simple acts of kindness can do so much!

I am grateful that Quinn might be able to give those same – hold your breath – you can’t stop the tears moments. Giving our community the opportunity to make a difference. In fact I’ve seen it starting, and I’m so grateful to be involved to see or hear about them happening! Whew, I need to get Quinn to bed, and get myself a Kleenex. Here is to those wonderful simple loving moments.

Blessings,
Susan

No comments: