Saturday, June 11, 2011

6-11-11

Here are just a few of the thank-yous, Quinn and I have been working on for all of the folks helping with Quinn's House.
Here are Barb and Quinn. If it were not for Barb, this whole thing with Quinn's house would not even be happening! Thanks again Barb!
Another week of summer already gone! Oh boy, the time is flying by. I forget how nice it is to spend a little more time with Quinn. Contrary to popular belief, teachers don’t have the whole summer off, but it is nice to have more days off then usual, and nice to get into some classes here and there, to help me keep learning and improving, but we did get to see the Price is Right a couple times this week, as that has always been my gauge to summer, do I have to ability to listen to “come on down”, as I don’t really get to watch it, Quinn as I are busy with her walker, or going potty, or getting stickers for the sticker chart, when she goes potty, or doing her hair, or reading books, or doing tummy time, and working on hands and knees, and rolling. We also try to go on some walks and it was nice a couple of days to do that. We work on eating applesauce and crackers. Right now Quinn likes sweet potatoes again, along with cotton candy, but not at the same time. I could go on and on, with all the things we are working on, but I am trying to keep it a bit short.

I had the best Friday morning ever. I dropped Quinn of at Chrissy’s house, as I was helping a friend move. So Quinn and I go in, and Chrissy was in the other room with one of the kids she was watching, and Casey and Justice were in the living room. These are two more of the girls that Chrissy watches and they are just amazing. Justice (I’m guessing she is about 10 or 11) comes over and starts talking to Quinn about the butterflies on her shirt, and asking how she is, then Casey (who I’m guessing is about 18) comes over and starts mothering Quinn, straightening out her shirt, and giving her sweet pats on the arm. I love talking to these girls, you can tell they are as excited to be at Chrissy’s as much as I’m excited for Quinn to be there. To be welcomed into the house like that just melted my heart, and I almost wanted to skip the moving day of hauling boxes and just hang out in that house. I’ve said it before, but we are so blessed to be able to leave Quinn in such capable hands, and have her surrounded with love from so many wonderful people, adults and kids both, when she is over there. Whew, that is love! (We even have pictures of the fun day, that I’ll share next time, they are still on the camera right now.)

On the house front, we picked out window trim colors, garage door colors, and gutter colors, looked at paint samples for the outside and inside of the house with Delrae, and Quinn and I started making and drawing on about 200 thank you cards to give out to all the folks helping on our house. John and I signed a few more papers and gave them to Greg who is working on even more paperwork to get things going, and Ken is working hard on finding us pocket doors along with all kinds of things I don’t totally understand. These are our three earth bound angels working on our house, Greg, Ken, and Delrae, thanks so much, we are looking forward to an exciting summer and fall. We also want to thank Bryon and Prairie Gold Homes, Inc. (click here to see their website) for being the main builder for our home, and just can’t wait to see all the folks that we will be thanking down the road. If you do look at their website, our house is being built on site rather then being moved, but most of the other information on there is correct. I'm excited to be working with them. We are almost ready to go into Lincoln Federal to sign the final loan papers, and start building in the Woodlands at Yankee Hill neighborhood. We could not have had any of this happen if it were not for Barb for actually asking around to see who could help us redo our old house, and make it handicap accessible, and now here we are about to break ground on Quinn’s House, Built with Love. I never though we could move out of our old house, let alone build, but thanks to great people, here we go. I’m looking forward to introducing Quinn to some wonderful people who are going out of their way to help us help Quinn have a home she can be successful in! Wow, life is good. We are bombarded with negative stories in the news, a few impatient horn honkers here and there, mother natures devastating floods, yet there is so much good in the world. I am thankful for the men and women who hold the door open for Quinn and I when we are going here and there. I’m thankful for the person who says, they were next, when the second checker comes up to check us out. I’m thankful for so many of my students who are always wondering why I was gone, and if Quinn is ok. I’m thankful to see that a few people actually do read this journal, and thankful I can write it in the first place. I’m thankful for spell check, and thankful for those of you who over look my grammar and understand the big picture of what I am trying to get across. It’s a wonderful world we live in, and I’m so excited to share the good, the emotional, the amazing adventure of building Quinn’s House, Built with Love. I’m hoping it will inspire a few folks to accept others for who they are on the inside, and not judge just by the way they look. In fact, thanks to Sarah, Quinn’s aunt, I was reminded yet again, how we need to get to know folks before we judge how they look, if they have the right clothes, the cool friends, or if they are in a chair, or if they drool. There is so much more to a person then their shell. This 6 minute video made me cry, but I cry at about anything, but it’s a great story about two young men and how they work to make their sports teams the best they can be.
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/23143/video-villanovas-student-managers (or click here to go to the video)

No comments: