Wednesday, May 12, 2010

5-12-10

Here we are at the art museum where the Egyptian wing just opened. We ran into a pharaoh. Quinn was impressed!
We had a great weekend and Mothers Day! I was reminded again how we need to get out and enjoy life, because we never know what tomorrow holds. Not that I think it will be bad by any means, but after seeing a couple of my kiddo's that I read about back in the hospital, and seeing Quinn and John both doing well, we jumped in the car and went to KC for the weekend. We met friends for dinner, walked around the art museum, where Quinn does so well.
Just look at her in awe of the art. She sings and gets so excited around some of it. I am reminded why God gave us Quinn. We will get to lots of art events at the rate we are going. We relaxed, and both John and Quinn were sound asleep Saturday night by 8:30, I think I wore them out.

Then after a nice breakfast we went swimming. This is the first time John got to see her swimming and after a bit of teaching John took over and Quinn worked so hard for over and hour kicking. If you listen to the video, you can hear her say "go"
and "move". She knows when she is kicking we go and move. I thought that was funny that she had to tell dad to go and move.

We also went to the Crayola store and diner. I wish you could see her giggling in this picture. Well, as the picture shows it's very colorful and Quinn loved it. She even did a good job drinking water in public. Normally she does O.K. eating at home, but when we are out and about there is to much going on for her to concentrate on eating, but just drinking water, she was doing great. Yeah, another multi-tasking event going well. Well a fun story at the Crayola store. As you can see, the store is in a mall and the walls only go up part way. We got a few Quinn fans who had to stop and talk to us about Quinn. Three generations of women stopped and said hello to us, and asked to talk for a minute. They informed us the youngest of their generation had a type of cancer where she gets moles over 80% of her body, and asked about Quinn and we talked about how their girl gets looks and they asked us i
f we get many looks. I honestly said we get lots of second looks, but we really have not run into anything nasty, in fact most folks talk about how lovely Quinn looks. I think something like moles are sometimes harder for kids to accept then a wheelchair. That tends to be the case at school as to what I've seen any how. The more severe it is, or more obvious there is an issue, the easier it is for kids to understand. So that was an interesting conversation. Then it was back home.

Notice both of them were sound asleep before we even got out of KC and slept until we got to Lincoln, so stopped to get groceries and I came out of the grocery store to find them trying to wake up. What a nice time we had. I strongly suggest to everyone to find time to get away from your regular day once in awhile. It does not have to be fancy. Hey the museum in KC is free. Oh, Sunday we went to the plaza and a band was playing so John and Quinn hung out and listened to the music, and Qui
nn sang and sang, so luckily we were a ways away, so not to bother anyone. I thought the combination of music was about as good as it gets. Oh, Quinn is also talking a lot more when the mood hits. She was sure to let Stacie know that her favorite color was yellow, and she even was being funny about it.

Wow! I'm getting excited to spend the summer with Quinn. We have a few weeks left to finish the year strong, and get the school boxed up so we can be at another building next year, so as the art teacher, I have a lot of packing. I've had a little help here and there which has been nice. Still so much to do, but then we have summer to look forward to. So as my kids get antsy and excited and don't want to work their hardest, I have to remember I am feeling the same way, so we will all buckle down and get a lot more learning done, then we all have a fun summer to look forward to.

No comments: