Tuesday, September 21, 2010

9-21-10

Well, we went from a couple days ago, where Quinn was not feeling great, but yet not horrible. In fact when she was sleeping, she was holding her ear, which is something that will always be special, as she did that all the time when she was a baby, before our journey took a different path, down the road we are on. So seeing her touch that ear is just so calming and joyful for us! Also check out her chest, I can't take pictures of her chest forever, as that could get me into trouble, but her scar looks so good, so good in fact you can hardly see it!

Then we got Quinn’s new shoes that go over her braces on Thursday evening and Friday morning we were doing pretty well. In fact she wanted to pose for the camera in her new shoes.

We had an appointment with the Pulmonologist (breathing doctor) and I was worried about this meeting. Quinn’s biggest issues come from breathing, and that is a pretty big deal! Well, after talking to him, and crying, we came up with a plan. After Quinn gets better we are going to do another sleep study. We will look into different breathing treatments, a sleep apnea machine, and start looking into a trake, but this is still a long way off, as she does so well, when she is not sick, but we are keeping our options open, as we only want what is best for Quinn. Well, after dropping her off at Chrissy’s, I went to work for the afternoon, and after talking to Chrissy, honestly expecting Quinn to have had a good afternoon, that was not the case, she had a hard afternoon of breathing, and I could not take it anymore, so a call to Dr. Swishers office, and it was off to Children’s Hospital. At first I was not even sure we would get admitted, because they did an x-ray, which appeared to be ok, and blood tests were coming back ok, and her breathing was ok. They decided to admit her seeing that I was a mess, and not comfortable with her for the night, and so we were admitted, and I was not much use to anyone asking me questions, thankfully I’ve got a book with all Quinn’s information in it that they could look at, and after missing all of Dancing with the Stars, we were taken to the 5th floor. We did not have any treatments or anything and then it was sounding like they were going to dismiss us this morning, but decided to keep observing her just in case. Well our calm morning took a turn mid afternoon, as the breathing doctors PA was super concerned with her breathing, I did not think it was really that much worse then this morning, but she was worried, and she got a number of doctors in our room, then Quinn’s oxygen level dropped down below 90 and before I knew it, I was worried, and there was a room full of people in to assess Quinn and talk of intibating and ICU were being thrown around. I was bawling, and Quinn’s breathing was getting very shallow, and she was beyond pale, with a tinge of blue. It was not good.

We did a nasal trumpet, which is basically a big stretchy straw, that goes down her throat through her nose, and as quickly as she went down hill, she came right back to feeling good. She even gave me a couple big smiles, and promptly fell asleep! So wow, what a difference a couple days make. This piece of plastic has simply given her throat a chance to rest, so she does not have to try to breath through a sore scratchy throat. The next plan of attack is after she gets a nice long nap, we are going to go to ICU to get fitted for a sleep apnea machine. Lots of people have them at home; in fact Quinn’s dad does, so some night I’ll have to get a picture of both of them with their sleeping machines, if they don’t care. Well, we will get her fitted, and if she takes to it, that might be just what we need to get her through the hard weeks. I’m thankful for the quick work of the doctors here, and I’m thankful I got her here when I did. I’m more then thankful for Quinn! She works so hard! She works hard on everything she does, and if everyone had the work ethic she did, our world would be an amazing place. As we were getting ready to go to the ICU, I asked Quinn if she wanted to take a ride, she promptly said “no” between her hard breathing. Oh, that hurt my heart, at the same time, it is so good to see her struggling yet still not giving in, and focusing on what is going on around her! She is amazing and I don’t know what I would do if anything happened to her! Lucky for me I don’t have to go there! I will just hang out and sit in awe of her in all of her wonderfulness! I’m so thankful for Children’s, their nurses and doctors, and thankful Quinn made it through another rough patch, with her ump and passion showing through the whole time! Whew, I thank God for a crazy day with Quinn doing so well, being calm, and breathing so quiet and calmly now! Now I can breath calmly too!

No comments: