Wednesday, September 22, 2010

9-22-10



Well, it’s Wednesday, I think, and this is day three at Children’s Hospital. We are now in the PICU, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, not that that should alarm you, or so I’ve been told over and over. It’s procedure to start kids on sleep apnea machines in this part of the hospital. In fact I just got done sitting in on her meeting with the staff and doctors, and they said that Quinn was one exception that probably could have been made to stay up on 5th floor, but honestly I am ok to be here, because they have lots of stuff ready if we would need anything, so we should be fine.

On a side note, walking through these halls here in the ICU brings back memoires, as I see the cribs in some of the rooms, it takes me back to when Quinn had her heart surgery and the next day where she coded and had so many things happen to her body because of that. I also see a few parents with their little ones in here, and they look so tired and worried, and I feel for them, as I remember that feeling like it was yesterday, oh, I did have that feeling yesterday for a bit, but we are doing much better now. As it’s not great to be here now, but thanks to time and understanding, it’s not as hard to be in the hospital, and at the same time, tonight is not as serious as some of the nights we spend here about 3 years ago. Don’t get me wrong, I know being here in general is not a fun trip, but I know how strong Quinn is, and I have faith in her and the doctors and staff here, and I try my best to give it up to God, to have him continue to help us in our journey.

Over the last day, Quinn has slept a couple great naps, and thanks to the nasal trumpet, she has been breathing great. This afternoon our good friend Chrissy stopped by to keep us company, and I even got a chance to get out and take a walk, and buy Quinn’s Halloween outfit! It’s pretty crazy cute. Now she has her Sleep Apnea Machine and no nasal trumpet and she is doing good, I keep hearing things beeping, which makes my stomach fall, but things seem to be going ok. She is hardly fighting it at all, and it’s a whole new feeling having air blown into your nose. She keeps feeling the tubing with her hand and moving her head around to try to figure out how the thing works, but we have had it on for about 30 minutes already and she is doing great with it. She still is figuring out exactly how to breath with it, and all the snot falling out of her nose, but over all she is doing good. That is a wonderful thing, let’s just pray it continues being a wonderful night.

Past tonight, I don’t know what the case will be, and I’m in no hurry to race home, as it’s looking like antibiotics and a few more steroids are in her future, and another night or two with her sleep machine. If anything it’s good for me to hear what she should sound like with it. Right now she is kind of loud, snoring, but I think more then anything, she is simply trying to get it to work. That is what the respitory folks keep telling me too. The first few hours are the hardest for her to just accept it and let it help her. As for me, I am so tired from the last few days, but I don’t think I’ll be getting much sleep tonight, but at the same time, knowing that folks are keeping such a good eye on her, who knows, I might be sleeping better then I think. So I’m asking for prayers for Quinn to continue to get strong and her breathing and airway to get back to feeling good and labor free.

1 comment:

Chrissy Scheer, PT said...

Susan & Quinn,

I pray that last night was restful! (and today too!). It was fun to get to see you guys for a little while yesterday...and I always love Quinn cuddles. :) Let me know if I can help in any way. Hugs & Prayers! Chrissy :)